Thursday, April 22, 2004

You can't go home again. The Red House in Syracuse, NY was my place of residence from 2000 to 2002, an enormous former frat house that housed 15 crazy-ass art student types quite comfortably. We painted shit on the walls, we mashed out our cigarettes on the carpet, we once put up a 20-foot Christmas tree on the front porch after someone saw it laying in the street. Some of the most ridiculous, crowded parties I've ever been to were there: six kegs, four bands, two DJs, that sort of thing. The landlord just sold it to some frat. Pour out a little.

But fuck it, it's spring, it's NBA playoffs season, Bridget's birthday is next week. Life is good. The Orioles are in first place, somehow. I was sleeping and then I woke up and was like "Huh? The hell? [blink blink] Oh, awesome."

And I saw my favorite band last night. Sleater-Kinney absolutely tore up the Recher Theater last night on the first night of their east coast mini-tour. That band is like ice cream on a hot summer day. Midway through they sent my heart soaring by playing the three best songs from One Beat, my favorite album of the decade thus far ("Oh!", "Sympathy", and "Step Aside", for those keeping score at home [if Bridget and I have a song that's our song, it's "Oh!"]). Corin's howl was just searing, the best I've ever heard it. The new song they closed with was a huge rock anthem with Carrie just shredding on this extended guitar solo, completely redeeming herself for skipping out on the EMP Conference. The sound was kinda flat compared to other times I've seen them, but it was still an amazing show. And the encores! "You're No Rock n Roll Fun", "Little Mouth", a cover of Bikini Kill's "Rebel Girl" (!), and "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone". If they play you're town and you don't go see them, you're sleeping.

Oh, and Matt Cibula linked me, so I'm linking him right back. Matt Cibula is awesome.