Isn't conservative punk already sort of a redundant phrase, at least aesthetically? The existence of a cadre of pro-Bush punks shouldn't be too much of a surprise to anyone with a passing familiarity with the punk scene, a group with more idiots per capita than anything this side of a Promise Keepers meeting. If you're still bumping Vandals records, you're probably not really all that in tune with reality. Indie rock may be generally lame, but at least the form has evolved somewhat over the last 15 years. California-style punk can still sometimes be glorious (the last Rancid album), but pop-punk shows nowadays are sad places to be, everyone wearing t-shirts of bands that broke up when they weren't born yet. I've been to the Warped Tour, and it isn't pretty. So (with apologies to Fat Mike), it really isn't a shock that a scene thick with conservative assholes might turn out to have a few politicized conservative assholes.
- For the week of 3/19/04: Top 10 People 1 - J...
- In heavy rotation this week: the Beta Band's The T...
- There are very few movies that have gotten into my...
- Here is some shit to make your blood run cold. I a...
- Big ups to the people of Spain for doing what vote...
- Because blogging once a week is the new blogging e...
- For the week of 3/4/04 (I'm going to try to make t...
- I just dug out Jay's Volume 3 - what an incredible...
- It's official; the Ravens are the most thugged-out...
- Keith Harris is gangsta. So much so, in fact, that...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Wednesday, March 24, 2004