There's a new Rancid album out today, first album in six years from probably my favorite band ever. Lets up in the last third or so but otherwise just a really, really great blast of broken-teeth pop-punk. More ahhh-ahhh backing harmonies than usual. Ska is back in the arsenal again (a good thing!). There's one great jerky kinda-rapped song that somehow doesn't carry massive Transplants overtones, one really weird cowboy-song kinda thing, and one amazing Matt Freeman psychobilly joint where he screams "BOOMSHAKALAKALAKALAKA!" a bunch of times. Listening to it on the walk to work this morning, I actually got choked up.
- This guy.
- Looks like I was wrong about this. Good! Also: I'...
- The Voice's regular Idol person is out this week, ...
- I guess I should put some sort of caveat here that...
- Yes, I'm still doing this. For the past couple of ...
- The Quarterly Report Apologies to Devin the Dude,...
- Another thing: I got a new job! Eat shit, recessio...
- It's not online, but Louis Menand's early history ...
- Well, this is interesting. Yesterday, Pitchfork ra...
- If you've been reading the internet in the last co...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Tuesday, June 02, 2009