The good part of working 9-to-5 is that I'm amazed to find that I am now perfectly able to drop $100 on four CDs and a book from amazon.co.uk. The CDs and book finally arrived yesterday: the new joints from Michael Mayer, Luomo, Mu, M83, and Paul Morley. Can't tell you how sophisticated and European I feel listening to this stuff. And the bit at the end of Mu's "Why I Left" where the piano and the vwerp-vwerp-vwerp computer noises play the same notes makes me think of Sammy Davis, Jr. dancing in a tuxedo with the bowtie undone and a martini in his hand while the giant gatling-gun robot from Robocop clumsily does the same steps behind him, a fraction of a step off the beat. If Mu gave me a giant pile of money to make them a video, that's what would happen.
- I guess maybe what I meant to say with that last p...
- My friend Matt Eckel just sent me an e-mail. I kno...
- I'm sick of listing all these shows. It's boring. ...
- So I just turned in an unsolicited P&J ballot. Let...
- So today is the cut-off day for turning in P&J bal...
- The last couple of days, I've been looking at a wh...
- I've been way lazy the past couple of days, watchi...
- Saddam Hussein has been captured, which completely...
- Sometimes it's a great idea to listen to albums yo...
- I went to the City Paper Christmas party Christmas...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Friday, January 16, 2004