Friday, November 05, 2004

So yeah, the election got me fucked up, got me feeling like I don't understand my own country. But you know what? Bush or no Bush, the last four years have been the best years of my life. I don't see any reason why the next four won't be the best yet again. And maybe it's all just concession-speech goodwill, but maybe Bush will actually try and unite the two parties somewhat and bring the country back together now that he doesn't have anything to prove. I mean, he probably won't, but what if he does? And if he doesn't, there are still plenty of Republicans out there who aren't necessarily crazy and don't necessarily hate me. And now maybe the Democrats will start to reevaluate, to consider the possibility that a Massachusetts billionaire isn't going to be the guy to harness the hopes and dreams of the working poor in the rural Midwest, you know? I've spent a lot of the past week walking around muttering and sighing and whatnot, though, yes. And the New York Times opinion page and certain blogs have helped me think hard about the coming four years; they've just been great. Marianna Ritchey, in particular, has been magnificent. Also, big love to Sasha Frere-Jones, Yancey Strickler, Jay Smooth, and David Drake. You guys are a big help.

Also, it's hard for me to be too down because I've got a couple of nice little hustles going; it looks like I stand to get money for writing about music a whole lot in the coming year, possibly to the extent that I can quit my day job. This is always what I've wanted to do, and I've just recently started contemplating the possibility that it could actually happen. In any case, should the urge strike you, you'll (hopefully) be able to walk up to the Safeway magazine rack sometime in the next couple of months, pick up Blender, and find out what I think of MM Food. Which is crazy!

Other reasons why I can't be too mad: The beginning of a wide-open NBA season, the beginning of a new season of The O.C., the release of Arrested Development on DVD (I really should have been watching it all along), reggaeton!