Wednesday, July 27, 2005

This isn't one of those "I'm ending my blog" blog posts. I'm not ending my blog (not that anyone could tell the difference lately).

I started doing this thing a year and a half ago one day when I was really bored at work. I picked "Dip Dip Dive" as a title because my first two choices were already taken (I don't remember what they were), and I've fucking hated the name since Day Two. Even with a wack name, this blog has taken me from "Baltimore City Paper contributor" to "genius world-renown internet journalist and Baltimore City Paper contributor and also he writes for Pitchfork." But things are about to blow up to insane, ridiculous, ebola levels. Yesterday, the Village Voice dudes, in their infinite wisdom, hired me to write a blog for their website. On August 15, one week after my U-Haul pulls up to the curb in Brooklyn, my name will blaze across one million computer screens, I will start stepping past the velvet rope at every club in town, and you will probably start hating me, if you haven't already. I'm going to have to step my game up immeasurably because I will have stiff competition, and maybe I'll disappear after a couple of weeks, but finally I'll be one of those few lucky chumps who gets to put food on the table with his writing and one of the even fewer, even luckier chumps who gets to do it with a goddam blog. Thanks for reading this thing. I know it hasn't always been easy.

Oh, and tenative title: Status ain't hood. Is that OK?