Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Don't believe all the hype about Theodore Unit's 718. It's a posse album. It's a good posse album, but it's still a posse album. That means some of the tracks are great and some are terrible and some of the rappers are great and some are terrible. The best track, "The Drummer", is also horribly recorded and has this weird crackling all through it. Ghostface is Ghostface, but he's coasting more than usual. His crew breaks down like this: one really good rapper who sounds exactly like a slightly-more-amped Jadakiss (Trife Da God), one shitty white rapper (Wigs), one OK deep-voiced rapper who sounds like he's really, really fat even though he isn't (Solomon Childs), one average guy who you don't really notice too much (Kryme Life), and one guy who I really don't think is even on the album at all (Du-Lilz). And Cappadonna, who's barely on the record. By all means buy it, but don't expect Pretty Toney 2 or anything.

The story in Bjork in the new New Yorker is pretty tight. I cannot tell you how jazzed I am to hear this new Bjork stuff.

I'm reading the library's copy of Generation Ecstacy, and this was written in pencil at the end of the discography section:

Miraculously, I own ALL of these xtremely RARE recordings listed on these
pages. Any casual or serious researchers may borrow, buy, or rent them on
demand. contact: Chris Fernandez (410) 756-XXXX. I've been a professional DJ in
New York since 1975. This is some of the most inspirational, creative music ever
made. I thank God for it. Apologies to the librarian, I felt obliged to
write.

This will probably only be useful if you're in the B-More area, and I don't know if it'll still work or anything, but hit me up if you want the actual number. I'm not super into electronic dance music in general, and I wasn't really feeling Starscape too much, but you wouldn't find a note like this in the library's copy of Dance of Days or The Ego Trip Book of Rap Lists, you know?