Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I know everyone's severely hating on the new Daft Punk, but I like it. Daft Punk was never the be-all or end-all of anything for me, and I haven't spent the last four years twisting and turning and lying awake at night wondering when the next album was coming out, so it's not that big of a deal for me. It's not as good as Discovery or even the new Out Hud, but it's a nice little sparkley-glitter disco album, and I'm happy with that. The first time I heard it was after riding home on the bus squished up between two fat people and listening to the Pig Destroyer album on my Discman. This was not a pleasant experience. After that, hearing Human After All felt like diving into a cool, clear swimming hole on the hottest day of the summer, for real. Clean and refreshing.

Pig Destroyer? Not good. I love the Mastodon and High on Fire albums because they've got that crunch-swing groove; they slow their stuff down far enough that their punches connect. Pig Destroyer is more like Lightning Bolt with Cookie Monster screaming over the top, all jern-jern-jern-jern-toom-toom-toom-skreee-aaaaaugh-reele-eedle-
jungajungajunga-graaaack. I don't need that in my life.