People should stop referring to Dalek as underground rap or whatever. Dalek makes industrial noise-drone with someone rapping on it. Before I ever heard their music, I thought they would sound like Three-6 Mafia. They don't. At all. Whatsoever. I was sort of disappointed. But as someone who likes both rap and indie-drone stuff, I have to say they make some pretty great indie-drone stuff. The distorto-synths have this great glacial epic-grandeur thing, going for beauty instead of ugliness, which makes them roughly infinity times better than Wolf Eyes right there. When I asked my editor at the City Paper what Dalek sounded like, he said it was something like Nine Inch Nails except rap. I think he meant it dismissively; he laughed pretty hard when I said that that sounded awesome. (They don't actually sound anything like Nine Inch Nails, unfortunately.)
- Run the Road really is as ridiculously great as ev...
- My subscription to the New Yorker ran out in Janua...
- Is 50 just mad because Game made a much better alb...
- For some reason, my bootleg copy of The Massacre h...
- Hood's Outside Closer sounds pretty much exactly l...
- Last week, I got Matos's 15-CD ultimate biblical 2...
- After the whole psyche-folk thing blew up last yea...
- Happy Valentine's Day, dudes! I love all y'all! S...
- The Chemical Brothers album is endearingly clueles...
- Portland was crazy, not even real. From the moment...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Thursday, March 03, 2005