OK, so I fucked up pretty bad. A few people have e-mailed me to let me know that my track review of the Roc-4-Life roster's mixtape "Triumph" remix had a couple of glaring factual inaccuracies. I wrote that Rawkan, who I'd never heard of, was on the track, but it was Raekwon, and I absolutely should've recognized his voice. I got the names from the tracklisting of the Catch 22 mixtape where I found the song, and it turned out to be totally wrong; I should've checked it. Also, I credited a line to Oschino or Sparks when it turned out to be Young Chris. One of my great failings as a music critic is my inability to distinguish between Young Chris, Neef, Oschino, and Sparks. There are now threads on Okayplayer and Soulstrut dedicated to my fuckup, and these dudes seem to be taking the opportunity to hate on Pitchfork. Well, it wasn't Pitchfork's fuckup. It was mine, and I'm crazy embarrassed. (I still don't like the track.)
- I know it's lame to jump on the hype train late, a...
- Watching the Hold Steady Saturday night, Bridget w...
- Yo, almost half of this Justus Kohncke album I bou...
- I know everyone's severely hating on the new Daft ...
- I'm listening to the new Hold Steady, and it's gre...
- O'Malley's March, the Celtic rock band led by Balt...
- Summer 2000: I was working at the Knitting Factory...
- I really, really hope Kweisi Mfume becomes Marylan...
- 50 and Game have called a truce, complete with a p...
- Yo, the Jennifer Gentle album is just terrible, al...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Thursday, March 31, 2005