Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Ew, yo. I will so not be buying the Infinite Livez album. Hey Simon Reynolds! The best hip-hop album of the year is called The Pretty Toney Album, and it's by Ghostface! And I didn't realize until just now, but one of the great things about Ghostface is that he isn't a British rapper who talks about lactating and having sex with monkeys. The Pretty Toney Album, Simon. You might want to check into it.

Low Budget from Hollertronix has been DJ'ing a lot around Baltimore lately, and I finally made it out to one of his things last night. I didn't stay long because the Talking Head is mad sketchy lately and I didn't hardly know anyone there, but Low Budget gets big props for playing "Ring My Bell" and Biggie in a room full of hipsters. I learned something when the other DJ played "At Home He's a Tourist" back to back with "Out of the Races and onto the Tracks": the Rapture is better than Gang of Four. More urgent, better baselines, thicker production. I know what I'm talking about; I bought Entertainment! on like Sunday and I've listened to it maybe three times! It's over! Sorry!