Aesop Rock is a pretty good rapper, even if I don't really like his whole idosyncratic delivery/swallowed locution steez. Mr. Lif is a great rapper, enunciating perfectly right on top of beats, equally adept and party-rocking, narrative rap, and super-scientifical weirdness. Both are good performers, never staying still, never stepping on each other's lines, tossing out rehearsed between-song banter like old pros. But holy jesus their show bored me. A lot of it was the crowd, goateed meatheads claustrophobically packed into the Ottobar, parroting back every word Aesop said, getting crunk to this shit like it was "Ante Up" or some shit. Some of it was the openers - Hanger 18 and some dude from SA Smash, just ass. I'm sure that more than a little bit of it was the long-ass Monday I'd just had, working eight hours and then coming home to write reviews for another two. But mostly, I think I was bored because there was nothing at stake. In the past couple of months, I saw Sage Francis, who I don't really like, and Atmosphere, who I do (check the Seattle Weekly today!), and both of them treated the show like it was something important, a vehicle for something powerful, speaking to kids like something depended on these kids hearing them. Aesop and Lif treated it as just another show: no serious moments, no energy crackling between them, no force or urgency. I left early.
- The Miss USA pageant is being held tonight at the ...
- Oh my God dudes, Spring is hitting like a ton of b...
- Rawkan or no Rawkan, I'm contributing a gang of re...
- OK, so I fucked up pretty bad. A few people have e...
- I know it's lame to jump on the hype train late, a...
- Watching the Hold Steady Saturday night, Bridget w...
- Yo, almost half of this Justus Kohncke album I bou...
- I know everyone's severely hating on the new Daft ...
- I'm listening to the new Hold Steady, and it's gre...
- O'Malley's March, the Celtic rock band led by Balt...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Wednesday, April 13, 2005