So El Guapo was a pretty meh Dischord band who decided, perversely enough, to change their name to Supersystem, sign with Touch & Go, and go full-on dancepunk. And it's not like El Guapo was setting the world on fire or anything, but this seems to be a pretty strange decision now that no one will admit to liking dancepunk anymore now that LCD Soundsystem is getting played in the background on The OC and whatnot. But holy god, this Supersystem album is ridiculous hot, fuzzbomb bass and eerie John Carpenter synths and jittery disco hi-hats and Diwali handclaps and and Middle-Eastern strings and horns and ridiculous splattered nonsense lyrics. They've retained a lot of that Dischord crashing-drama aesthetic but plugged it into this caffeinated epic white-funk thing which, fuck it, I still love. "Born Into the World" is one of the two songs I totally forgot about when I was doing my quarterly report (the other is Do or Die ft. R. Kelly: "Magic Chick"), and I honestly cannot imagine it not setting a dancefloor on fire. Probably no one will hear this album, but wow, it's breathless and skittery and desperate and just, like, unstoppable. It gets better every time I hear it.
- So Joseph Ratzinger is the new Pope. Awesome, dude...
- This is a bit late, and I haven't done one in six ...
- Aesop Rock is a pretty good rapper, even if I don'...
- The Miss USA pageant is being held tonight at the ...
- Oh my God dudes, Spring is hitting like a ton of b...
- Rawkan or no Rawkan, I'm contributing a gang of re...
- OK, so I fucked up pretty bad. A few people have e...
- I know it's lame to jump on the hype train late, a...
- Watching the Hold Steady Saturday night, Bridget w...
- Yo, almost half of this Justus Kohncke album I bou...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Wednesday, April 20, 2005