American Idol's first cracker-cracker showdown is over, and the right cracker won. I'm curious to see how Carrie Underwood does in the outside world and how her success or failure will plug into what I was saying recently about the mainstream's persistent ignorance of country music. Carrie Underwood is pretty and likeable and marketable and, with the right song, there's no reason that she couldn't blow up monstrous - except that pop radio hasn't come anywhere near country since the last time Shania Twain commissioned a Europop remix. I find it kind of weird and embarrassing that everyone at my work assumed that I'd be rooting for Bo and that I needed to be consoled or whatever. Do they think I bump Creed on the low? It was fun for a little while hearing Bo bleat grungeisms, but it got old around the time he grew the creepy molester beard. With the flowing pirate shirt and tight leather pants he was rocking last night, it was not a good look. Last night's show managed to be fully engaging for two hours, which is sort of incredible. David Hasselhoff's entire career these days seems to consist of making self-deprecating cameo appearances. It's nice that he's a good sport, but he doesn't have to smash us over the head with it, you know?
- New York was a crazy whirlwind of a blast, and I a...
- I was driving Bridget's car around Hampden last ni...
- I watched part of the Country Music Awards (or wha...
- There's no way to put a happy face on getting swep...
- My brother Jim has a blog. He's a smart kid, so le...
- I caught some wreck from some smart people a littl...
- I feel like Al could probably write a Lifter Pulle...
- T.I. was on The OC last night. Stuff like this nee...
- I haven't talked about the new Mountain Goats albu...
- I probably shouldn't mention the Choices II soundt...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Thursday, May 26, 2005