Thursday, May 05, 2005

I haven't talked about the new Mountain Goats album yet because I don't want to get too personal or emo here. But it's an amazing album and it kills me. The Sunset Tree doesn't have many of the driving tooth-gnashing bangers that We Shall All Be Healed had, but the lyrics (about John Darnielle's past with his abusive stepfather) are endlessly sad and powerful and just fucking miles deep. They hit me right where I live. In the liner notes, Darnielle writes: "Dedicated to any young men and women who live with people who abuse them, with the following good news: You are going to make it out of there alive. You will live to tell your story. Never lose hope." Bridget is a domestic violence crisis counselor, and I'm afraid I have to say that Darnielle isn't always right; plenty of people never make it out alive. She could tell you some stories that would break your heart.

On a (much) lighter note, what's up with all these writers making a big deal out of discontinuing their blogs? It's like, your blog isn't who you are, or it shouldn't be. It's something you do when you have a minute at work. Why make a big deal out of ending it? Why not just stop posting? God knows that's what I'll have to do when I finally get a job where I really have to work all the time. (Mostly I'm just annoyed because I like these unnamed blogs and don't want them to end, so grain of salt and everything.)

In other blog news, I'll be watching some TV and joining the Purpology crew. It occurs to me that everyone writing for this thing is, what, between like 19 and 23? Is that right? Am I going to feel like everyone's drunk uncle? (I'm 25.)

Also: Arenas at the buzzer! Wizards up 3-2! Jyeah!