Let's talk about Kanye for a minute. I've been getting sick of this man for a minute, and I haven't made any secret of it. He's been acting like a complete ass since roughly the three "Jesus Walks" videos, and it seemed like everything he'd done since then had gradually edged into uberentitled celebrity megalomania. Plus I'm one of the two people in internet-land who isn't in love with Be (Will Dukes is the other one). It's OK and all, but I'm getting good and sick of flutey Rhodesy beats with pish-pish drums, and Common's spoken-word-guy delivery isn't helping anything. (And how is he deep? I seriously do not hear it.) Kanye also has the most irritating track by far on the new Young Gunz album, and that's not really something that you want to have people saying about you. And I would not be sad if John Legend got sucked into an interdemensional vortex so he could fight dinosaurs instead of bothering all of us with that lounge-singer shit. But. Now Kanye is calling Franz Ferdinand "white crunk" and getting M.I.A. to guest on his album. And he engineered the single most thrilling moment in a song this year on the "Diamonds" remix when he says that people are asking if him and Jay are still cool and the beat drops out and you hear Jay's voice - "Yep" - and then Jay just murders the rest of the song ("Bleek could stay one hit away his whole career / As long as I'm alive, he's a millionaire"). So fuck it, I like this guy again. He's back on my good list.
- I don't really get the Pixies. I mean, they have s...
- Matos just passed me a meme (I learn new words eve...
- Fuck it, I like this new White Stripes album. I li...
- Here's what I hope is about to happen: I hope Lil ...
- Every once in a while, a song comes along and just...
- In my world, Ludacris is a dazzling supernova of a...
- So we're doing it. We're moving up to New York Cit...
- American Idol's first cracker-cracker showdown is ...
- New York was a crazy whirlwind of a blast, and I a...
- I was driving Bridget's car around Hampden last ni...
- All the girls excited, ooh you know they like it, it's Purpology -------------------
- My brother Jim rocking the big red beard
- Yancey Strickler being so smart that you're like, "Dude, what?"
- Jessica Hopper taking fools to task
- Government Names straight killing you
- Sean Fennessey getting paid to write about shoes
- M.R. messing around and getting me all emo
- Al Shipley no longer being the only person on this list who I've actually met
- Nick Sylvester talking to the stars
- Chris Lemonred removing my link
- Julianne Shepherd inventing slang like E-40
- Nick Barat wielding power
- Michaelangelo Matos being where I want to be in a few years, except with some kidney stones
- Sasha Frere-Jones spending that New Yorker money
- Jon Caramanica being surprisingly white
- Keith Harris resurfacing
- Rollie Pimperton starting beef he can't possibly finish
- The FT Mafia talking English
- John Darnielle needing to play Baltimore
- Hua Hsu thinking something else when you say "The Wire"
- Will Dukes talking big-city talk
- Matthew Perpetua posting stuff that I would download if I could download music at work
- Anthony Miccio courageously liking Limp Bizkit
- David Drake being just a baby, man
- Gel and Weave knowing way too much about obscure regional rap
- Amy Phillips and friends going to see some bands, dude
- Phillip Sherburne going to Spain and junk
- Jay Smooth sometimes occassionally writing about hip-hop music now
- Noz getting his picture up in Spin
- Houston So Real getting insanely great quotes from Willie D
- 1115 keeping they eyes on the prize
- Kris Ex quoting the Bible a whole lot
- Ian Steamen linking a lot
My back pages
Wednesday, June 15, 2005